Followers

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Son's Initials and some Challenges

Dear Scrappers,

Greetings from Galveston.
This week, I am designing and writing from the gulf coast ;-)
My kids are at the NASA camp having a blast and leaving me some time to take care of many errands. And giving me the opportunity to attend  CKC Houston, thus I wanted to finish this project and share it with you quickly.
I bought these cardboard letters for my son's room. I used as inspiration three different challenges from my favorite blogs that I have been following:

CC3 Challenge 7: Painted Industrial

Challenge-12: whos-boss from Craft Hoarders Anonymous
which is all about embossing...

and finally from Simon Monday Challenges:
J as Inspiration: Jump Rings

I love all three blogs and use them as inspiration as much as I can. I get motivated to create by them and love their designers.
As many of you know, I have tried to keep up Tim's newest book: Compendium of Curiosities 3 and many of the techniques used here, I learned from there.
Inspiration Emporium is sponsoring this CC3 challenge #7, please visit Joy... and say Hi from me ;-)

Here is my finalized  project:
I used some papers from CTMH wotg: Later Sk8er and some of their elements.
I used Tim's Painted Industrial technique for my foil taped cardstock strips and die-cuts. Details for that technique to be found in page 46 of CC3...
I used the embossing Diamond Plate & Riveted Metal Set by Tim Holtz for the metal strips and die-cuts made with Sizzix Bigz BIGkick/Big Shot Die by Tim Holtz, Gadget Gears:

 I used a previously made for the center of the A, and for the letters to spell my son's names die-cuts (Inside out)  from light grey cardstock and some foil-taped pieces too.


 I used TH picked fence paint to distress the cardboard edges and some grey crayon from my daughters' stash (who is beginning to be a craft hoarder too ;-).

The outside of the letter were distressed with peacock feathers distressing ink to highlight them against the grey papers...
Here is a close-up of the different letter I used:
 I added a rocket to the A to highlight the Outer space collage paper from Karen Foster...

 I used some Jump rings (Ring Fasteners from Idea-ology TH) instead of regular brads using the Simon Monday Challenge as inspiration and a way to add later some Lego gears from my son's stash and to make this lock piece movable (this die, i bought ages ago and finally i got to use it ;-)
My son loves all kind of locks and gears. He inherited my father's engineer's mind ;-)

 I also used some Hitch fasteners and game spinners to complete the steam-punk look...
Some gears were distressed using oregano alcohol ink (i bought this ink set in my first convention back in 2007) and more peacock feathers distressing ink.

 I added some of the Later Sk8ter elements to the gears after distressing them too to complement the look:
I tried to distress the Idea-ology mirrored star and added it to the Later Sk8ter one:

 A closer look to each single letter:

I hope you enjoyed this fun project and give me some feedback.
Please follow my blog as well (I'm trying to get my numbers up ;-)
Have a blessed weekend and I hope to see you at CKC this Thursday or Friday,
Vicky

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous letters! Love that you did kind of a patchwork! Really stunning. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL altered letters! I love all the metal on them! He will too! Thank you so much for joining us in our metalicious challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These letters are so clever and creative! I would never have thought to do this! Amazing! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These letters for your son are awesome. What a great way to use Tim's painted industrial technique for our challenge. Those are fantastic letters and perfect for a boy's room. Your technique looks really good on the letters! Thanks for sharing with all of us at CC3C. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love those letters, the detail is amazing. So glad you joined us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous. ~Diane GDT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!! These are so cool. You're son is going to love them! Thanks for sharing. So glad you joined us for our challenge at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously cool. I love that metal! Reminds me of stamped tin...it's awesome! Thanks for playing along with us a Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These letters are really awesome! Thanks for playing along with Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete